The RecPlex offers year-round indoor public skating to Central Iowans at our Patty & Jim Cownie Family Ice Arena. People of all ages and abilities can come skate, and ice skates will be available to rent on a first-come, first-serve basis. Whether you want to skate with family or friends or host a birthday party or special event, the RecPlex is your go-to skating rink.
Public Skating Details
Open Skating Times
View the drop-in schedule for public skating times when anyone can come and skate.
- Admission Only (Per Skater): $7
- Rental Skates: $4
- Skate Aid: $5
Public Skating Guidelines
To make sure skating is fun and safe for everyone, all skaters must follow these guidelines in order to participate in public skating. Please report any rule violations to a member of the RecPlex team.
- You must skate at your own risk — the RecPlex is not liable for any injuries or accidents
- Tell a RecPlex staff member immediately if there is an injury while skating
- No boots, tennis shoes, or other street shoes are permitted on the ice — ice skates only
- To decrease accidents, all skaters must skate counter-clockwise unless otherwise directed
- No food or drink (besides water) is allowed on the ice or on the players’ benches
- You cannot carry children while you skate
- Public skating is a time set aside for ice skating only, no hockey sticks, pucks, balls, cones, or chairs are allowed
- Remove your skates before walking onto bleachers or concrete areas
- Do not skate or do any activity that could endanger another skater, including, but not limited to, throwing snowballs or any other object, roughness, weaving through skaters, playing tag, or excessive speeding
Hosting an Event During Public Skating
Public skating is a great time to host a birthday party, corporate outing, field trip, or any other special event. Get in touch with our staff if you’re looking to plan a gathering during our public skating times, and we’d be happy to discuss birthday packages and other event opportunities.